PBIS- Dolphin of the Day

     Our school is a PBIS school which basically means we try to encourage appropriate behavior by using research based techniques to redirect students. We use it primarily to prevent as much misbehavior as possible. Different teachers use a variety of techniques that best work for their individual students as well as group rewards for grade levels and our whole school.
     One that we do for our entire school is to recognize a Dolphin of the Day. Each teacher recognizes one student each day and they put their name in a box for a drawing at the end of the day. During the afternoon announcements, the principal calls one student from those kids to display their name on a board by the cafeteria. Here are a few of the documents I created for us to use in our classrooms.
Here is the poster that is by my clipboard in the room. 

Here's how I keep track of who I have selected so I can aim to encourage other kids that might need some redirection.  Also, it helps me to look for the kids that I might not notice as much because they don't talk a lot or misbehave.
Most teachers can just put their student name on a small slip of paper. I have created these for our grade level.  I also like to recognize a small accomplishment on their slip of paper.  You could easily do this reward system for your homeroom class if you didn't use it for the whole school.

     Here are the behavior punch cards we use daily to encourage positive behavior in the classroom. I'm also a huge fan of whole brain teaching and Ron Clark and Hope King and their philosophy on keeping kids engaged. I believe that keeping kids involved and engaged is essential to maintaining a positive learning environment. I'd love to hear what strategies you use in keeping order on your ship?

No comments: