Christmas Economics

      Last Christmas I had maternity leave with my littlest baby. I totally missed doing this major economics unit with my students as well as my awesome colleagues. I don't want to divulge all the details of this amazing unit because I am hoping she will be able to package it for you in the future. However, here's the skinny.  We began by laying the foundation of economics through interactive lessons.  The fourth grade team created Christmas shops and made several ornaments. The students provided the human and capital resources needed and produced products. They were also paid for their labor. Before Christmas break, students created ads, commercials and used their money to walk from shop to shop and purchase gifts for other people. Again, that's the skinny. I really want her to get this out in the open for you to have all the details on this remarkable, memorable teaching unit. It by far was one of the most memorable moments in my teaching career. Here are a few of the ornaments my class or other classes made. Some were built in a factory and some were specialized labor.

     Santa painted on an oyster shell

     Snowman head on a scallop shell

     Peg board ornament

     Candy-cane reindeer (factory made, assembly line style)

Cinnamon ornaments, these smell amazing.

Ombre' glitter scallop shell ornament

I would say this is my Pinterest fail. Glitter, puzzle piece ornament.

     I love taking time before a holiday or break to work on a creative project.  What meaningful Christmas activities are your favorite to do before break?


No comments: