Reader's Notebook Phase I

Good Evening Reader's... again,

I'm going to attempt to share with you how I have grown as a teacher using reader's notebooks.  The idea originally stemmed from an amazing teacher showing me how to use writer's workshop effectively in class (thanks a million AMY).  Since then, I have poured over that knowledge into a reader's notebook (marble composition) for many reasons.

Personal reasons to use a marbled notebook:
1. Very inexpensive if purchased on sale in August.
2.  Pages are not tempting to tear out, like other notebooks.
3.  Assembly is not required, similar to three hole punch binders.
4.  Durable
5. Smaller framed.
6. Cute covers now, if you don't want to decorate.
7. Easy to integrate reading and writing.

First, I'm going to show you where I started with my third graders last year.  Here are some pictures of the covers they designed.  They chose to use pictures or illustrations that showed their character.

 
Um... don't ask me why I can't rotate the second? 
 
My first goal using Reader's Notebook was to completely use a composition notebook.  I have used a composition notebook every year and NEVER, EVER filled it up.  Not even half way.  So...
 
 So, we began our homework from the back in a traditional style.  If you are looking to save paper, here is a perfect way.  No more copying reading homework logs.  It also allows flexibility if you have different students completing different styles of homework. 

For example, if you have a child reading nonfiction and poetry.  They may have different style to fill out for their reading. 



Students traditionally had homework Monday through Thursday, however, they love finishing the last grid.  For the older classes, you can expand your summaries or response by a couple lines if you want to do away with the Friday grid. 

On the far left they wrote the day of week abbreviation, month abbreviation and day and left room for a stamp.  On the far right they put the pages read ##-## and parent signature.  In the middle they recorded the title of the book (correctly capatilized and underlined) and a summary or chosen reflection for our menu. 

Happy teaching!

~ Tara

No comments: